Thursday, March 24, 2011

Oils pastels, memories, and footloose (and my realization that everything really does link back to Kevin Bacon)





















A friend recently asked to see my old journals, so I got them out. I realized I had not posted any work from past journals in a long time, so I thought it was about time. This is the only drawing I have ever made using oil pastels. I kind of like it. I like how objects, drawings, and photos can bring you back to a partly forgotten moment in time.
I lived with three boys in Santa Barbara when I drew this. There was rat king, who never left his room; Teiwaz, the crazy monkey man who liked to twirl his hair; and my boyfriend, Mr. Brown Town. Teiwaz and I were having a lazy day at home--folding laundry and watching a miniseries. Teiwaz got out his oil pastels and started to draw, not caring if he drew off the page all over my coffee table. I could never resist a drawing party, so I joined him. I liked the colors and how you could smear every line.
I guess I should use them again sometime. Teiwaz, want to bring over your wolf and draw sometime? Then we can invite Alden over, have a dance party, and listen to footloose. Awesoma power.

No comments: