Monday, August 2, 2010

7/6/10 to 7/14/10























On Friday, 7/9, I was lucky to get to go to lunch with Granny (Mike's grandmother), Mike, and Arrow. It was a lovely day filled with great company. I may have accidentally dropped root beer all over Granny's lunch, but Granny seemed to like her soggy burger. (Just kidding. Mike replaced it like a good grandson.)
On the following Monday, Mike and I learned that Granny had a bad fall. Mike's family visited her in the hospital, and they were all able to say their goodbyes.
Mike gave her a letter I wrote. For the past couple of years, Granny had been my faithful pen pal. Getting her letters in the mail was always a highlight in my day.
She died a couple of days later at the age of 93. I am fortunate and happy that I was able to know her. I would like to write her one last letter. I don't know if it is too late, but I would like to think it isn't.
Dear Granny,
Thank you for your kindness, humor, and your cursive filled letters. Thank you for always being a joy to be around. You were always thanking us for spending time with you, but no thanks were ever needed. It was a privilege to have known you. You will be missed.
Love, your pen pal,
Claire

No comments: